Rina's Web Journal

'Tis the life of Rina Champagne. Recorded on ze internet.

Friday, June 27, 2008

On Boy Bands and Other Lost Art Forms...

Okay, so I may have been pretty young(pretty & young, thanks) when REAL boy bands(Not the Jonas Brothers) were popular. Before I get a bunch of JB fan-girls stoning me and egging my house, let's define a boy band.
Boy Band:a formulaically organized pop music group of good-looking young men who can sing and dance.

The Jonas Brothers do NOT dance. Not in the awesome "Bye, Bye, Bye" *NSYNC way. I remember learning that dance. I remember dancing with my MOM to that song.

Yeah. There really is no point to arguing this. I miss boy bands. O Town, Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC...this is all pre-I-went-and-ruined-my-career-because-I-threw-a-girly-tantrum-and-broke-up-
the-band-so-now-I-write-sucky-music-that-no one-listens-to, of course. The sad thing is, people DO still listen to Justin Timberlake. I'd really like to see O Town again. I loved them. I remember breaking the tape that I had because I listened to it so much.



Anyway....
I guess another lost art form would be the GIANT ROAD ATLAS. No lie. I saw one in Sam's today...and thought, "Wow. I need one of these." I don't know WHY I need one of those, because we have our loving Mother Telenav. (If you haven't heard the Mother Telenav story, you will. Right now.)

Mother Telenav was born on our trip to Liberty University (class of '15!!). We were right down the road from Liberty when my mom stopped giving my dad the Mapquest directions and my dad decided to use the Telenav on his Blackberry. Well, that was when my dad said, "Dorothy. It's over. I want a divorce." and the Telenav pipes up, "Slight Right on Candlers Mountain Road". So my mom whips out her Pocket PC and starts playing Solitaire. So she shunned my dad and they both start conversations with their respective devices. Well, we never acknowledged the PC as our father. Just the Telenav as our mother(think PAT from "Smart House")...Thus, Mother Telenav was created. Well, dad ended up divorcing Mother Telenav because she told us the wrong way to go, and we ended up driving around campus for 20 minutes in a circle (same thing Mom had said to do). Mother Telenav HAS led us astray before though....

Just in case you wanted to know: the last time Mother Telenav was married to Dad, she ended up leading us down a very creepy street at night and in the middle of a main street she said, "Your destination is on your left." It was a graveyard. No lie. **Welcome to the Twilight Zone**

I guess that could be called a lost art form as well. Marrying technology.

The last lost art form for today would have to be the lack of sun in "Sunny Florida". Yeah. Every night this week it has rained. No lie. It starts around 4 and lasts (at LEAST) til I go to sleep (10:30-11-ish).

I'll bet you anything that the sky is crying.

So Boy Bands, Giant Atlases, Rainy Florida and Marriage to Technology. What more could you ask for??

Happy Friday, everyone.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home