Rina's Web Journal

'Tis the life of Rina Champagne. Recorded on ze internet.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Love is NOT Rude

This is the common sense one. ((Matthew 7:12)) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. We've learned this since Kindergarten. Since before we even knew it was a Bible verse, right?

Rude:impolite, unmannered, rough, harsh, ungentle; without culture, learning or manners.

Yeah. Do you know anyone who's rude? I really didn't think that I did until we started venturing to Kentucky. Seriously. People can be extremely, EXTREMELY...well, rude. People are not born with manners, and I'm blessed enough to have good morals and NOT be rude to people.

How do you approach people who are rude? Personally, I avoid them like the plague, and only talk to them when absolutely necessary. And, I must confess, that that is not Christlike. A cliche in our church is "You're not gonna be best friends with everyone".

True. That.

The high school workers are not stupid. They know about the cliques(off-topic....). The point is, you're NOT going to be best friends with everyone...but that's not an excuse to be rude to them. There's no excuse for not acknowledging them either, because that makes you rude. If they are rude to the point where you absolutely CANNOT be around them, then you need to confront them. This is how: Matthew 18:15-17.

I asked my mom how I was going to get a whole "love lesson" out of a common sense principle. She proceeded to remind me about my siblings. (Stop laughing.) Why is it so hard to be nice to your siblings? I mean seriously. Oh, yeah. Because they're ANNOYING. Guess what? It doesn't matter.

Let me repeat that.

IT. DOES. NOT. MATTER. Who cares if your siblings are annoying? I'm thinking that Jesus was annoyed with the people who BEAT Him and put Him on a cross, considering WE did all the crap that put Him there((Matthew 27)). He put up with it...why? Because He LOVES us((John 3:16)). Forever. Before we were born. No matter what we will do, are doing, have done((1 John 3:16)).

So back to why it's hard, since THAT isn't enough of an incentive to be nice. Right now, I'm staying at my grandparents' house in Kentucky. We have 6 people in the house with ONE bathroom. Guess what? I asked God to help me with the whole love thing. And He has an awesome sense of humor. But really, it is a GREAT way to be able to practice everything that I've been "preaching" for the past 2 weeks. Wanna see my new definitions? (Sure you do.)

patience: 6 people. One bathroom. On top of all of the normal sibling stuff.

kindness: getting up at 7am to help with breakfast.

jealousy: who gets the better bed?

boastfulness: not bragging about getting the better bed.

rudeness: being on your best behavior for four days because you're staying with your grandparents.

So, me and my best-EST friend use to do scenarios. This is how that works: I give you a scenario, you create a response. Let's say that I am using my iPod and you want to use it. What are you going to do?
You say: "snatch". *buzzer* WRONG. I'm not gonna give it to you. Why? Cuz you're being rude.
You say: "give it to me". *buzzer* WRONG. Mind your P's and Q's, kid.
You say: "Rina, my gorgeous, darling, eldest sister, may I have the honor of borrowing your iPod?"*buzzer* Though this answer is preferable, you're feeding my pride, and that's no good either. ((I know. I AM gorgeous and darling. But still.))
You say: "Rina, may I please use your iPod?" *DINGDINGDING*!! Here ya go. *bestows iPod upon thyself.*

That is not to say that you should only be nice to people because you want stuff. Though...it is the smart way to get what you want. People tend to respond to polite behavior rather than nasty attitude. It's a fact of life.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home